Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Contentment


This past week I found myself with a little extra spring in my step and caught myself walking through my days with an unexpected grin on my face.

Things that made me smile:
Now just imagine the snowflakes falling and
seeing there's still 40 minutes left on the timer.
  • Having the first real snow begin while doing my laundry for the first time in six weeks. Remember the picture of me sitting outside waiting for my clothes to finish washing?
  • Seeing a typical French woman in her black high heel boots trudging through the snowfall with an umbrella in hand. Who does that?!
  • Getting smart about buying new groceries by Google Translating the names first. Assuming that cornstarch and brown sugar will clearly present themselves is only makes things harder.
  • Heading down the baking goods isle to realize InterMarche had gotten a makeover.  The sugar is no longer next to the flour and the tea is now accompanied by the chocolate. I’m having to relearn the grocery store. It brings back lost memories from my first weeks in Commercy.
  • Hearing my name loudly yelled out from across the store. My students are everywhere.
  • Having a group of male students stand directly behind me in the checkout line when the two lanes on either side of me were clearly open. Then hearing them debating amongst themselves whether or not I understood what the cashier was saying to me.
  • Finding myself with a group of students playing piano and being asked to join in on the sing-along of Titanic’s “My Heart Will Go On”.
  • Waving at my students from across the street and realizing how awkward they looked imitating my gesture. The wave does not blend well into the French culture.
  • Walking past a group of three middle schoolers jamming out to “Cotton Eyed Joe”. See video below.
  • Holding my first official Language Club. I tried to start it before Christmas, but no one came. This week a girl asked me about it and after changing the day and time, I met with four English enthusiastic students.
  • Meeting one-on-one with a sophomore girl wanting to practice her English, but who seemed to only be able to produce German words. “Ich habe one Bruder. Ich like lesen.” I was so thankful for my one semester of German!
  • Having the sun shine bright two days in a row and still seeing a bit of light out when leaving the school at 6pm.

Without even knowing, my effort of enjoying each day has started to become habit. I can say with all certainty, that I am so thankful for my time here in Commercy and wouldn't change any of it for the world. I pray that when I find myself in unpleasant situations, that I can think back to this and allow the smiles to continue.


I couldn't believe I was seeing twelve year old French kids dancing to this in public. Too funny!

4 comments:

  1. I laughed openly at the idea of those boys trying to decide if you could understand the cashier. Bre love, that's straight out of a movie! Class to hear that February in Commercy has brought some cheer into the days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First--LOVE.

    Second--That song brings me back and now I really want to dance to it. The video kind of freaked me out though never having seen it before haha.

    Third--I'm glad that the Language Club is going now!!

    ReplyDelete