Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Life and Learning

Two months ago today I arrived in Commercy, France. I was bright eyed and ready for what the next eight months would bring. Now here I am, a quarter of a way through this adventure.

What I’ve learned about myself:
  • Small town living is not for me.
  • The things that come to my mind don’t always need to be spoken.
  • I miss having roommates.
  • I love working with students.
  • The more free time I have on hand, the less I seem to accomplish.
  • Grey’s Anatomy is a girl’s best friend when it comes to learning French.
  • Perhaps I can learn to be a reader after all.
  • Hot water, bubbles, candlelight, good music, and wine can make even the worst day better.
  • I don’t like walking home from the grocery store with heavy bags in tote.
  • Some days I don’t even step outside and I’m okay with that.
  • I prefer having a set schedule.
  • I hate not being able to pick up the phone and call whoever, whenever.

This list just touches the surface. Being here has given me more time than ever to reflect who I am and what I want in life. Sometimes I feel like I’m going crazy with all this free time, but then I remind myself that I probably won’t have this much freedom again until retirement. Enjoy it while I can.

In general, things are looking up. I had a wonderful weekend. With the holiday on Friday (Bastille Day here in France), I spent the day with one colleague, her family, and an older retired couple. It was a day filled with food, games, and laughter. It reminded me a bit of home, especially when the round of Rummikub began, one of my family's favorites. There of course were language difficulties, as always. 

"BreAnna, do you like playing cards?" 
"No, I don't have a pet. My mother doesn't like animals in the house."

Oh my. But after six hours, I blame my exhausted brain for that one.

Saturday I was invited by another teacher to have dinner at a Chinese restaurant with her, her boyfriend, and her childhood friends. I wasn't sure if I would be able to last through another day of endless hours of French, but as the evening began, the conversation seemed to come with ease. We enjoyed the buffet, then headed back to the apartment for some Trivial Pursuit. Now, this game isn't for me when the questions are in English, so imagine me trying to play in French. Needless to say, I wasn't the most valued player. Despite the language barrier, it was still enjoyable. We took turns having me read off the cards in French, then having the other players try their best at translating them to English. This created quite the uproar among the group, making the next three rounds fly by with ease.

And on this typical Monday night, I sit enjoying a cup of tea, listening to the French radio, and basking in the glow of not having anything to do. What a great start to another week of life lessons.







2 comments:

  1. What wonderful lessons you are learning. Missed you when we celebrated James'birthday tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to so many of the things you listed above!! What a wonderful list ;)

    And the thought of French Trivial Pursuit is making me laugh! ;)

    ReplyDelete