Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Third Time's a Charm

Before
Third time's a charm! The before picture posted doesn't even begin to describe the chaos I bestowed upon myself as I began to pack for 8 months in Europe. How do you choose what to bring and what to leave?! I thought after studying abroad, this would be old hat. Indeed, this was not the case. The before picture is actually my second, but not last, time packing and unpacking my bags. After this try, I weighed my bags, discovering the backpack was 35lbs and my suitcase was 70lbs.

Let's see: 35+75=110/2=55. Not great numbers when I'm allotted 50lbs each.
After

Now, my mother is somewhat of a saint when it comes to dealing with me when I am under stressful situations. I tend to "freak out" and let everyone know it. But after going through my bags endless times, I needed the help of someone who has gone through this before. Enter, Kelsey Baumann. After another hour of going through my already whittled down items yet again, I was able to remove three sweaters, two notebooks, and my coveted shampoo and conditioner (which was 7lbs alone!). 

At 12:25am, grandma, mom, and I headed off to the Amtrak station to start the first leg of my journey. The train was thankfully only 40 minutes late (a record) and what I was most nervous for, getting my heavy luggage on the train, was done with ease.

Kelsey: my free spirited, fun loving, do anything, best friend.
Saying goodbye to both my grandma and mom felt incomplete. My mom said as I was leaving that it still didn't feel real. And perhaps this is where I am at now. Maybe until I get to Commercy and begin this new saga, will it hit me. I'm currently sitting in Claire's dining room waiting until 5pm to head to the airport. We have a long 24 hours ahead of us and it might just be best for the time being for me to block out all emotional feelings until I arrive safe in my one bedroom apartment.






September 2011
September 2009
A comparison of luggage from my last time in France to this time. It may be hard to tell, but much more thought went in to those bags! Notice, I only have the hiking backpack and suitcase this time. None of that extra bag, blanket stuff. Hopefully, this will treat me well while maneuvering the metro in Paris! I just have to remind myself, I've done this before, I have less stuff, and I have a friend to do it with. Wish me luck!



Last goodbyes with Grandma Donna


6 comments:

  1. I love this post! Especially, seeing how much we have both changed in the past 2 years (loving the luggage pictures). It seems like just yesterday we were getting ready to study abroad and now we are moving the France to TEACH English. Let's do this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear the train was only 40 minutes late!!! And here begins your great adventure...say hi to the cows for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies!! Next time I write, I will be in FRANCE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful blog! I just got on here for the first time and caught up with all your older posts-how fun to look back on the process up to this. praying for safe travels and the year ahead. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's be best friends over there. ;) Seems like you had a good travel experience! hope mine goes well! what made you "lessen" your luggage? I was kinda planning on bringing what you brought last time haha. I've been through this before, too, but was still planning on taking 2 50 lb bags (one goes on my back), a 20 lb carry-on?, and my longchamp.. HA! I feel so embarrassed after reading this! Is it because you had to take the metro? I only have to take the train station w/i the CDG airport to Lorrain TGV where I'll be picked up, so didn't think it'd be tooo much of a problem... HELP! haha

    ReplyDelete